As I said yesterday I get alot of questions about food and clean eating. In this post I will write about clean eating and how I started. I will also give you some advices that I hope you will find helpful. Start making healthy choices, feel good and start to see long lasting results!
1. Why eat clean? I rarely use the definition “diet”, because it can be missunderstanding. I advocate for a long term healthy and clean eating lifestyle. This is very important to get and also maintaining your results -you’ll need to make a lifelong comission to your body. It may sound easy, but it is very hard, especially in the beginning. The key is to be patient and to really make every dish healthy.
2. How to eat clean? You can read how to eat clean in my previous post here. There you also can find most of the groceries that I always have at home.
- Eat lean proteins like egg, tuna, chicken, beef, beans and peas. This will help you to feel full for a longer time, and this will also prevent overeating and cravings.
- Eat whole grains like rolled oats, brown rice, quinoa, whole grain rice and pasta. Switch out the refined products to whole grains, this will for example stabilize the blood sugar level. Most whole grain products also contain more protein.
- Eat low fat diary products like quark, cottage cheese and milk. They are a great protein sources and give strength to your bones.
- Eat healthy fats like in avocado, nuts, seeds, fatty fish and vegetable oil. This is great for your heart and is an overall support for your health. Avoid saturated and trans fats, which are the bad fats. You could find it in ice-cream, cookies, candy, butter and fried food.
- Cut down on your sodium (salt) intake, and drink alot of water. By having a high sodium intake you can actually start to carry extra water weight and you’ll feel bloated. You will avoid this by cutting down on your sodium intake and by drinking alot of water. Try to swich out all sugary drinks (soda, juice) to water. Drinking alot of water (aprox 2-4 l per day) have great benefits for your overall health!
- Cut down as much as you can on sugar. It is empty calories that will make you feel bloated.
- Try to avoid alcohol, which not only contains alot of calories; it will also effect your sleep, exercise and overall health.
- Do not skip meals. Try to eat frequently and often. You could see an example from my daily food intake, but remember that the food intake is very induvidual.
Skipping meals and not eating enough (do not starve yourself!) will affect your blood sugar level negatively. This will make you feel tierd and it can also, in a long term matter of time, give you diabetes due to the insuline level. You also will not get the nutrition your body needs, and your metabolism will slow down. Your body could also enter a “starving mode” which will make the body to store excess body fat. So please don’t skip breakfast!
Smoothie in the making
3. How to start eat clean? I started to eat clean when I moved out from my parents and had to start making my own food. My dad has always tried to get me more intrested in cooking when I lived at home. He loves food and cooking and I have learned so much from him, unfortunately I did not really had the time or interest when I lived at home. I was very comfortable with getting the food served after school.
- That is why my first advice is to start with making the food yourself for you and your family if you still live at home. You will learn so much, your family too. Healthy and clean food are delicious, far more filling and doesn’t need to be more expensive. I am sure your parents also would be pround of you for wanting to make the food once in a while.
- Make a monthly food budget and do a large grocery shopping once a week. Take time writing a list over the things you’ll need to make your healthy food during the week. You will save so much money from this, and at the same time avoid buying something unhealthy.
- Look up some new healthy recepies. You will get alot of fresh inspiration and maybe you’ll find a new favorite dish that can replace some unhealthy food. Don’t be afraid to try something new or experiment in the kitchen.
- Clear away all the bad food. Throw it away- do it immediately!!A quick and simple lunch box
- Do your own lunch boxes. Then you’ll make sure to always eat healthy food, that will give you more energy at your job or in school. You will feel full for a longer time and avoid cravings. Don’t forget to bring snacks if you have long days away. You will even have some energy left for a workout afterwards! It is a real time saver as well.